Saturday, December 17, 2011

Movie Review: Midnight in Paris

Midnight in Paris (2011)

The boyfriend and I had the wonderful opportunity to see this film today.  We both walked out of Theater #1 feel awed, inspired, and in love.

The movie is set in modern day Paris, as well as 1920s Paris.
Gil (Owen Wilson), a writer, finds him self enamored with Paris and is nostalgic for what he believes to be The Golden Era - the 20s.  When he finds himself traveling back in time, he finds himself with the likes of Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Salvador Dali, Picaso, and the beautiful Adriana.

-----------

My rating?  5 out of 5 stars.

Gil's adventures in the 20s left me wanting more. Not in a bad way, but in a similar nostalgia felt by Gil in the film. I came home and immediately downloaded free Kindle editions of Fitzgerald's novels.  I found myself listening to 20s jazz era music through various YouTube videos.  I wanted to feel, hear, taste, and see what he saw.  

Rachel McAdams stars as Gil's fiance, Inez.  Personally, I found it really hard to like her character. She strikes me as an older 30 year old Regina George - a most unpleasant, spoiled adult.  If she was pleasant, however, the story would not have gone as well as it did. Inez has nothing in common with Gil, and finds it annoying and complicated that Gil wants to write and wants to live in Paris one day. 

My celebrity girl crush, Marion Cotillard, stole the show as Adriana.  Yes, I might be a bit biased on this opinion since I love Marion to pieces...but she honestly was amazing.  As the muse of Pablo Picaso - as well as many other artists and writers - Marion plays the sultry part well. As the girl who falls in love with the most interesting person she's ever met - she plays vulnerable well.  She can do no wrong.
Did mention she is my girl crush?  Well she is.  Keep that in mind.

Acting aside, it's difficult to put in text what I loved about this movie.  Woody Allen masterfully wove this movie from beginning to end.  I'm impressed, and totally in love.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alma! Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Will have to check out this movie... and congrats on the new blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Started reading this, but had to stop... since I want to watch this movie. Your thumbs up is all I need to know I'll like it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...