Tuesday, December 20, 2011

wait...is that vomit flavored?

The boyfriend and I accompanied my parents to the airport yesterday as they got ready to go to Albuquerque, NM.  We got there on time, but of course there was a delay.  Fun, fun, fun!


Aww, look at my mom and dad.  Adorable, aren't they?  it took 4 tries to get this photo because they have the habit of saying "hurry up, hurry, i can't smile!" while I try to take their photo.

So we had plenty of waiting time, and luckily for us a local elementary school had their choir group come and sing Christmas songs to the waiting travelers.  It was so cute!

This is them singing Jingle Bell Rock.  Naturally, I associate this song with the version from Mean Girls.  So right after I took this photo, I danced the Mean Girls version subtly next to the boyfriend.  He was ashamed, i'm sure.
You know the dance I speak of:
Yes, I did this in public.  Boyfriend was THRILLED.

Anyway, after making a mockery of dance, we went and chilled with my mom and dad a little more while they drank their coffee.  My mom snapped a photo of what we do when sitting across the table from each other 60% of the time:

We were probably on facebook, not gonna lie.

So, with 1.5 hours left to spare, we went to the little shop located near the front of the airport and found many awesome things. But none as awesome as Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans.


Anyone who knows me for more than 5 minutes knows my obsession with Harry Potter and all things associated with Potter.  But I draw the line at eating things that taste like things I would rather not taste.  Behold the list of flavors available in these tiny boxes of culinary demise:
They draw you in with the Cherry, the Marshmallow, and Lemon.  But ...wait...what is that?  Vomit?  Soap? Sausage?  no thank you.
The boyfriend was intrigued.  Being a boy, he couldn't help it. He bought a box, and I filmed the tasting of such flavors like Earwax, earthworm and Black Pepper.  My mom even tasted the Grass flavored one!  I will post these videos in the next post.

I was too afraid to try any of them.  What if i mistaken Banana for Vomit?  BLEH!

So finally, their plane arrived.  The boyfriend and my dad bonded for a while before they left.  aww.

See how my dad refuses to look at the camera?  This is on purpose.

My mom and dad went on their merry way to New Mexico, and most of the travelers were gone by this point.  The airport waiting area had this nice, serene feel to it before we left.

And I finally saw what Hugh Grant talks about in the beginning of Love Actually:

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around"

Seeing arrivals and departures was bittersweet.  I wanted to cry with the family who said bye to their son going to basic training.  I wanted to laugh with the family I saw greeting a loved one.
It's beautiful.  It's all around.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! It sounds like the airport is the place to go to hang out!!
    The day I flew back from the ME for Christmas, my whole flight was full of expats that had been working abroad. My Mam said some kids were seeing their Dad for the first time in months and a girl screamed and dived on her boyfriend, just like on Love Actually. She was an emotional wreck by the time I got through the gates. I agree, airports are incredibly emotional!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...