Sunday, January 15, 2012

Hey Hollywood: stop ignoring us! A soapbox post.

An Academy Award, a Golden Globe, and a Screen Actors Guild Award.

I just finished watching the Golden Globes - which I enjoyed thanks to Ricky Gervais, who is brilliant - and I was utterly lost on most of the films nominated. 

I'm a HUGE awards show enthusiast.  I love the glitz, glamor, fashion, and fanfare.  I usually make it a point to see all the nominated movies with the Boyfriend before Academy Awards time...but it just gets harder and harder each year to do this. 

As I'm sure a lot of you know, a lot of the hyped movies get limited releases in select cities, like New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago.  They get seen by the people there and members who vote for awards shows, they get nominated, and then as a last ditch effort to include the masses, Hollywood (I say Hollywood as a general term, of course) releases these movies 2 weeks before the Academy Awards at our local discount dollar theaters. Sometimes they get billed as new movies and get screened only at the regular full price theater. 

The movies in question here would be The Descendants, The Artist, Iron Lady, We Need To Talk About Kevin, My Week With Marilyn, Carnage, and Beginners...just to name a few.

Hollywood, it seems, has this notion that people in small town have no interest in "artsy" movies, and tend to show us movies that suck.
A recent article by Roger Ebert highlights this very thought:
"Box-office tracking shows that the bright spot in 2011 was the performance of indie, foreign or documentary films. ... Yet most moviegoers outside large urban centers can't find those titles in their local gigantiplex. Instead, all the shopping center compounds seem to be showing the same few overhyped disappointments. ... The message I get is that Americans love the movies as much as ever. It's the theaters that are losing their charm. Proof: theaters thrive that police their audiences, show a variety of titles and emphasize value-added features. The rest of the industry can't depend forever on blockbusters to bail it out."
During the Golden Globes tonight, a lot of the ads for upcoming movies were movies that were already nominated for awards and being pushed for Academy Awards.  They will be coming out here soon, but I wish we can see them at the same time as everyone else in the country. 
I want to make my awards predictions based on my actual viewings, not based on reviews by other people on the internet!

---------

So here is where I get on my soapbox.  Hollywood needs to stop giving the small towns only films they coin to be blockbusters.  Sure, some are cool, but most suck.
Stop giving shitty movies like Jack and Jill or Twilight (bleh!) 3 screens out of the 16 available, and give the 2 extra screens to movies that deserve to be shown to audiences like myself and a lot of other people I know who are willing to spend $10 on a ticket. Send us your indie, artsy, foreign and documentaries! 

A lot of the movies I love today - the movies I rush out to get on DVD at the best store in the world (Target) - are usually these indie, foreign and artsy films that I never get a chance to see beforehand. A lot of these movies never get the recognition they deserve and a lot of the actors never get the accolades they deserve.

Do you know how many people around here would stare at me blankly when I would say "Marion Cotillard deserved that Oscar!" when she won for La Vie En Rose a few years back? 
Also, when I would say that The King's Speech deserved Best Picture last year, they had no idea who or what I was talking about. 
I was lucky to see these movies mere days before the Academy Awards.

Hollywood, stop thinking that small towns don't care for these films. We do.  We are not backwards people. We want to fit in like everyone else and feel that we are deserving of films that turn out to be beautiful gems. 
I want to see the films mentioned above badly.  Show them here soon.
Don't do this to us next awards season.  :(

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, it sucks when people make assumptions about what other people should like, and in my experience when big companies bully the smaller ones out of business like in high street stores. Where is the diversity?! You should write in and complain!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...