Thursday, March 15, 2012

Livestock Show fun times.

Every year, the Boyfriend and I have gone to the RGV Livestock Show, one of the bigger events in our corner of Texas, to see his little sister show her goat and enjoy some of the sights. 

This year, his sister Lynda showed yet another goat.  I like goats. They have this awesome little nose and cute floppy ears. So cute!

Unfortunately, they hate cameras, and never sit still enough for a photo. This is the closest I got to getting a photo of her goat in the pen:

Her goat is the one NOT looking at the camera.
The goat cleaning it's hoof.
She showed the goat in the Market Goat Showmanship event, but didn't place this year. 

The Boyfriend's little sister, Lynda, leading her goat.
I'm sure she'll hate that I posted these. But oh well...it's my blog.  :)
It's a good looking goat, but there were more muscular goats in the category.  Oh well.  Better luck next year!
She is a high school junior this year, so next year is her last year to be a part of the stock show.

So we went off sight seeing.  

I love little set ups like this.
Boyfriend found a game named after him. Sweet.  No, we didn't play, because the carnival wasn't open yet.
We also walked around the animal pens to see other animals there to be shown by 4H students.
These two cows caught my eye right away. They just looked so calm and sweet, and were even resting their heads on each other. 

I want to take them home and keep them forever.
One of the bigger Budweiser Clydesdale horses.
Have you ever seen the Budweiser Clydesdale horses?  Those are HUGE horses.  That photo is eye level, so my head reaches it's stomach. This one was one of the bigger horses...
They are glorious to look at. Horses with built in Ugg boots are awesome.

For the record, I don't like Uggs, but they look cool on horses.

Bunnies are cool, too.

These are the Boyfriend's cousin's bunnies.  :)

One thing people love about the Livestock show is the variety of food available.
Now there are safe foods like Pizza, burgers, hot dogs, tacos, etc...which is what I stick to. I'm not very adventurous when it comes to festival foods. My tummy would hate me for days, I'm sure, if I went too crazy.

Here are a few of the food booths that stuck out to the Boyfriend and I this year:

The fried foods booth. Fried desserts.
Let's take a closer look at that menu:

Deep fried shortcake, cheesecake, twinkies, oreos and snickers bars.
Mexican food booth.
Looks like a simple unassuming taco booth. Right?  Look at the sign to the far right.  Tripas. 
Tripas are gross.
Tripas, also known as Machitos, in Mexican cuisine are the small intestines of farm animals that have been cleaned, boiled and grilled. Tripas are used as filling for tacos, then dressed with condiments such as cilantro, chopped onions, and chile sauce.  [x]

It's gross, gross, gross.
And the line for Tripas is always HUGE. People will buy tons of these.
GROSS.

And lastly:
wow. mashed potatoes on a stick.
I want to know how they managed both of these, and why that lady bought a lot of them.

All these choices in food, and people wonder why south Texas is rated one of the areas with the fattest people in the country.

But that didn't stop me from ordering my annual allowance of fried oreos.

I allow myself one order of these every year at the show. Only one.
They are yummy.

Another thing I like to see at the Show is the questionable fashion.
People wearing jeans too small for them. People wearing boots all wrong. People in shorts who shouldn't be wearing shorts.  
People watching is great.

But the one that caught my eye yesterday is that people are starting to wear holsters for water bottles.
This didn't bother me much, though. It's fine when people wear the holsters on their hip like a gun, or when kids wear them cause kids loose everything.

The one water bottle holster wearing person that bothered me was this lady who wore the holster on her butt.


She was walking around like this.

Clinton Kelly and Stacy London would be laughing and weeping at the same time.

Seriously lady, flip that holster around or just carry the damn bottle. 

3 comments:

  1. I love deep fried Oreos! However, I didn't know about them until I moved to NYC, they're often sold at the street fairs here, but apparently they weren't a thing at the fairs in New Hampshire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had that cheesecake stand at our state fair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a minute there, I didn't see the holster - I thought she was "pinching" that bottle tight haha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...