Friday, March 9, 2012

Middle school stories.

The Boyfriend and I talked about middle school today over milkshakes which prompted this post.

When I get an assignment to sub for middle school classes, I always get flashbacks of my own middle school years.  I see the "cool" kids, the "awkward" kids, the "i wish i were home" kids, and the "i totally dig being at school kids."  
To me, those awkward years of 6-8th grades where just not fun.

I was never a bullied child, but I had my moments where I felt like a complete outsider and like the world was against me.

I know, i know... everyone felt that that in middle school or high school at least once, so it's nothing special...but every experience to every person is unique and affects us differently.

I hated middle school. I loved being in band and my group of band friends, but I hated my time in middle school.  Some people just made it shit for me.

Me in 8th grade. My eyebrows needed desperate help.
The moment I realized I was a "fly-on-the-wall" in middle school was the very 1st day in 6th grade.  All of a sudden, we all had different classes. The people I went to elementary school with were still there, but we no longer stuck together.  We all had our own groups, and our own classes.

Around the middle of the day, I realized I had a science class coming up. At my middle school, 6th grade was upstairs, 7th was downstairs, and 8th was in a the annex next to the main building. All the science classes were in the 8th grade annex, since it had the modern lab stuff.

Not knowing exactly how to get the annex in time, I decided to look around for help.  I overheard a girl I went to elementary school with talking to a friend of hers about how she just left science class and that she loved seeing the class snake, hamsters, and spiders and couldn't wait to go back.
I went up to her and asked, "hey! I have science next. How do I get to the annex?"
She looked me in the eye and said, "I don't know." Then walked away giggling with her friend.

That was the moment I realized this was a whole other ballgame.  That the girl I used to know is no longer someone I knew...I was easily pushed aside to her.

I am convinced that if I wasn't in band during 6th grade, I would've never met the amazing group of friends I had in middle school.  They made me feel like I mattered, not like someone you can push aside.


In 7th grade, I had my first boyfriend. He was one of the coolest kids in the 7th grade (and i have no idea where he is now!) and he liked me. 
ME. Out of all people - me.  
He would walk me to class, hold my hand after school, and was even the source of my first kiss. 

Needless to say, I had a groups of girls who HATED me because of this adolescent relationship I had with this boy.  When I mean hated, I don't mean that they glared at me when I walked down the hall and left it at that. I mean the vindictive hate.

They fabricated a letter that said things along the lines of "I'm only with him because I want sex. I want to have sex with his friends. I want sex. sex. sex. sex." I don't remember who they addressed the fake letter to, but I remember that it was typed out, since they couldn't mimic my handwriting.
Then they made over 50 copies of the letter they made up and threw them around school.  Put them in lockers, put them in classes and gave one to the boy who was my boyfriend. 
LIke...OMG REALLY?
I was 12. I didn't know what sex was when I was 12. 
I had just gotten my first kiss...and I thought that was taking it too far.  
And here are these girls saying that I was this 12 year old sex maniac and making a fool out of me...just because this boy liked me and not them.

I was crushed.  I was laughed at. I was the odd one out.

The school counselors had caught wind of it, and had me, the boy, and the girls involved join them in a meeting.  It was revealed that I had nothing to do with it...and I think they either had on-campus suspension or at home suspension for being twats.

The boy I was with broke up with me because he didn't believe that I didn't write it.
Boy broke my 7th grade heart. 

My 7th grade year was just a mess because of this.


Luckily it was all forgotten by 8th grade.
But in 8th grade, I had a group of boys who were in my trombone section in band who weren't fond of me.  I was 1st chair trombone, and the boys were all beneath me. I rocked the trombone better, so what!?

One boy started calling me "billboard" because he said my forehead was too big. 
Refer to the photo above...it's not big...but boys are mean when threatened by a girl.

That nickname stuck with that group of boys, so I spent all of 8th grade being taunted by them.  They would see me in the halls and hit my forehead with the palm of their hands and say "BILLBOARD" out loud.
They were mean.
But i never got off 1st chair, so I at least kept them down in band. 


I'm still very self-conscious of my forehead because of those boys. 13 years later, and I still hear "billboard" in my head when I am fixing my hair.  
Those fuckers. 


It was still a good time, though.  I had an amazing group of friends that I share a lot of memories with, who remained friends with me throughout high school, and even to this day.  One of them is going to be my Man Of Honor when i get married.  :)
I wouldn't trade those friends in for anything in the world.

High school was a lot better.  I don't think I have any bad stories about high school, aside from a shitty boyfriend.  Ha!

And college? College was the best time.  I had an amazing college experience. I got two degrees in fields I love, and I got to meet the Boyfriend  for the 2nd time in our lives.  If that isn't amazing, I don't know what is.

So I guess I made up for the bad.  :)


Anyway...thank you for reading this far.  :)
I just needed to post this for whatever reason.

6 comments:

  1. Wow it always blows my mind how mean kids can be. I'm sorry that you couldn't have a fun experience in middle school. It's not supposed to be that hard that early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay!
      I had a better high school life and a WAY better college life! :)

      Delete
  2. Whoa...that was such a rotten thing that those girls did. Hopefully they are much better people now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope so, too. i don't know what became of them after high school

      Delete
  3. A lot of losers in middle school... but your personality shone through!

    Alma, thanks for dropping by my blog. Yes, I am also a Harry Potter fanatic. Did you read my other entry about Wizarding World of Harry Potter? Here it is http://notjustafoodblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/chocolate-frog-butterbeer-etc.html

    If you finally get to go there, please blog about it. I would love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope i get to go some day, i really do! I will totally blog about it whenever I do :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...