Saturday, March 3, 2012

Movie Review : The Artist.

The Artist (2011)

WOW.

That is the word I will use to sum up this movie.
Wow.

The boyfriend and I finally had a chance to see this film.  It didn't show in any theaters in my area until this weekend. Many thanks to The Oscars for finally forcing our theater to show it!

The Artist is a romantic comedy drama in the style of a black-and-white silent film directed by Michel Hazanavicius, starring Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo. The story takes place in Hollywood, between 1927 and 1932, and focuses on the relationship of an older silent film star and a rising young actress, as silent cinema falls out of fashion and is replaced by the talkies.  [x]

--------------

My rating?  5 out of 5 stars.  If I could give it more stars, I would.

This movie had me loving the 1920s and 30s era even more

Having the best expectations for a movie that won Best Picture at nearly every awards show this year, I was ready for one of two reactions: either (a) I would hate it or (b) I would fall in love with it so much I would want to have babies with it.

I fell in love. Babies to be announced.

Let me start with the 2 - no 3! - lead actors.

Berenice Bejo, Jean Dujardin and Uggie the Dog.
Look at how beautiful they are. Berenice is quite possibly the most stunning actress in movies next to Marion Cotillard.  She carries the part of Peppy, a starstuck girl turned movie star, with such grace, charisma, and attitude. I enjoyed every moment she was on screen.  Jean Dujardin is simply beautifully handsome.  Look at his face. No really, look at it.  He is Gene Kelly's long lost son, I swear it.  And Uggie?  He is perfect!  Such an awesome training team behind this little guy.

Being a novice fan of silent film - only having seen a handful - you almost forget how easy it is to forget that you are watching  film with no dialogue at at.  It's all in the way the actors carry their roles and their facial expressions.  Dujardin earned his Oscar for Best Actor the moment he graced the screen.  From the first scene to the end, he wasn't just a man playing a silent-film star...he was the silent film star.  He was George Valentin through-and-through.  It may sound cliche, but that is the easiest way to put in words.

I honestly don't want to give much away on here.  I rather let you all go out and see it for yourself.  If you're a fan of silent films and films of the 1930s-40s, I highly recommend this!

The film is a fresh and wonderful gift to our senses - and most importantly a great gift to our imaginations.  If it's one thing I love about silent films is that you are not forced to hear the feelings of the actor on screen, but find meaning for yourself. 


Maybe seeing things in black and white is not such a bad thing after all.  :)

7 comments:

  1. Ahhhh I HAVE to watch this! I've been hearing so much about it, but it hasn't come out here to Hawaii! I'm glad you feel so strongly about it. This makes me excited to see it when I get the chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont think i've ever seen a feature length silent film...I'm sure this will be my first! Glad you enjoyed it! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was really hyped in Europe and everyone was waiting for it and it came out and we were all very pleasantly surprised. I'd watch it again, and again.
    I have a crush on Jean Dujardin, he is such a dilf!

    xx
    meinmode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously, I must see this, immediately. Obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously, I must see this, immediately. Obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched this film a couple of weeks ago, and really enjoyed it. The story was strong, and the acting was spectacular that I cried more than once in the film.

    I've yet to make my own review of it, but it is always great to read a raving from someone (among many) who enjoyed the film as well!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeaaaahh oh man. I really liked this movie. I didn't even know anything about it, but my boyfriend got us tickets to see it on Valentine's Day, and I ended up loving it. :)

    I have only seen one other silent film and I saw it only a few weeks before I saw The Artist, so it was interesting to see a modern silent film.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...