Saturday, March 17, 2012

Movie Review: Casa De Mi Padre.

Casa De Mi Padre (2012)

My dad had been seeing the previews and press for this movie on Univision for weeks now and had a big interest in seeing it, and it was only fitting that I take him on opening night of March 16, since March 16 happens to be his birthday.  :)

The Boyfriend and I also found the premise of the movie to be hilarious, so he, my mom and dad and I all went together to see this.

Casa De Mi Padre (English: House of My Father) is a  Spanish-language American comedy film. The film stars Will Ferrell, Gael García Bernal, Diego Luna and Génesis Rodríguez. The film has been described to be in the style of an "overly dramatic telenovela" and tells the story of Armando Alvarez, who must save his father's ranch from a powerful drug lord.  [x]

--------------------------------

My rating?  3.5 out of 5 stars. It was a fun movie to watch!

Let me start with the obvious Spanish language spoken in the film.  Yes, it is all in Spanish with a few lines here or there in English.
I speak Spanish fluently, so it was no big deal for me.  I understood it all, with the exception of some of Will Ferrell's lines.  Luckily, it is all subtitled, so I got it all! 

I love subtitled films,  so that in itself was no big deal.

The movie is a parody of Mexican B films and novelas (soap operas) and they do it very well.  With props that are just ridiculous (fake horses in one scene, obvious fake backdrops, a calf that was brown, but turns black when carried, puppets, etc) and deliberate film errors like seeing the camera crew in sunglasses, or the boom mic in another pair of sunglasses, it gives the film the B quality they aimed for.

I think one of my favorite parts was a shot of the city they were in filmed as toys. Toy buildings, toy cars...so funny!

The camera angles on a lot of the scenes were amazing.
Yes, there were a lot of shitty angles since, again, they are trying to be cheesy. But that didn't stop the cinematographer from taking creative license at times and making some of the scenes absolutely fantastic.

Will Ferrell, who plays Armando Alvarez,  speaks pretty good in Spanish! You can tell he practiced a lot, and has the enunciation to prove it!  Mad props to Will for taking on this role and doing a grea job learning a new language.
It's funny how Armando's family - who are very, very Mexican - do not question the blonde man they call their son/brother. They even have a cameo from Molly Shannon who is a cousin!

The best part of this movie is the duo of Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna. 

Gael Garcia Bernal y Diego Luna. que guapos!
These two are my future Mexican husbands.  Yes, the Boyfriend knows this.

I love these guys. Any movie they are in is typically amazing. I might be biased on that statement.  But there is no denying their true, raw talent. 

They already came into this movie with great on-screen chemistry, having worked together in films like Y Tu Mama Tambien and  Rudo y Cursi (which I still need to see!) and it shows how well they bounce lines off each other like it's no big deal. Their comedic timing is gold.
Both these guys don't do many comedies and stick to a lot of dramas, so it was refreshing to see this side of them.

Enough fangirling.

The movie was great.  If you like cheesy B films that are reminiscent of Mexican novelas, old westerns and Mexican ranchero films, then this film is for you.
If you loved Talledega Nights and Anchorman, then this film is for you.
Be prepared to read subtitles if you don't know Spanish, and look for all the things the film makers did to make the movie as cheese-tastic as possible! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...