Saturday, March 24, 2012

Movie Review: The Hunger Games.

The Hunger Games (2012)

Two years ago, I read the books for the first time and I was just enthralled. One year ago I found out the movie was in production.  It's been a hell of a year of waiting to see this finally come to life!

So the Boyfriend, my friends Jeanne, jaime, Amy and Andrea all went to see the midnight screening last night.  Fun times, those midnight screenings.  

The Hunger Games is a young adult novel written by Suzanne Collins. It is written in the voice of sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives in a post-apocalyptic world in the country of Panem where the countries of North America once existed. The Capitol, a highly advanced metropolis, holds absolute power over the rest of the nation. The Hunger Games are an annual event in which one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 from each of the 12 districts surrounding the Capitol are selected by lottery to compete in a televised battle in which only one person can survive.  [x]

------------------------------------------------

My rating? 4 out of 5 stars.

I will always like the books more.

That being said, I enjoyed the movie very much.  
Yes, parts had to be altered to get a PG13 rating to let the younger fan base in. Yes, parts had to be cut or rearranged to fit in a 2 hour movie.  All adaptions do this.
Even then, the movie flowed very well and left me satisfied in seeing one of my favorite books come to life.

Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss) did very well portraying our leading lady and Josh Hutcherson was the perfect Peeta.  Any reservations I had when the casting was announced early last year are out the window completely. Their chemistry is pretty spot on, and - oh gosh- the way Peeta looks at Katniss is just heartbreaking and sweet all at the same time.

I know there are people who didn't read the books, so I don't want to say too much in order to avoid too many spoilers. 
The movie is told in the same manner of the books: from Katniss's point of view. The focus remains on Katniss most of the time, but the movie does show other features at times like the Gamemakers controlling the arena environment, the other tributes in the arena, and even a few shots of the people in Districts 11 and 12 watching live.  

When I read the books, I found it funny how everyone was fascinated with Katniss and dubbed her The Girl on Fire. They all loved her and rooted for her. And poor Peeta was just Peeta, the lover boy.  


Source: Tumblr
I can see why though. Katniss is the darling because she volunteers herself to save her sister.  So the people of the capitol already find her to be something "different" and special.

The movie is no different. It does show how Katniss was the darling from District 12 and how Peeta helped elevate her to that status by just being himself and declaring his love for her on national TV with Cesar Flickerman (Stanley Tucci).
The way Peeta tries in earnest to save Katniss always tugs at my heartstrings. 

The scene I am happy they left intact was Rue's scene.  It was beautiful. The flowers, the song, and symbolic symbol to the cameras. It was perfect.

Above all, I do think that The Hunger Games shows us how reality tv is affecting what we tolerate.  The citizens of the Capitol revel in the Games annually. They hold parties, they celebrate, their children play games reminiscent of the tributes killing each other for laughs.
It pokes at the current reality tv trend, and how people are fascinated with seeing other people's lives on tv, and other people's misfortunes on tv.  

Televising the children of Panem hacking away at each other is just another thing for the people of the Capitol and some of the "career" districts. They are desensitized to seeing death.

It's terrifying. 

Anyway, I'm not saying more, just for you to go see it for yourself.  
I enjoyed it very much, and I hope I get to go see it again soon without the noisy little teenagers around. 

 ------------------------------------------------

For the midnight screening, my friend Jeanne and I asked a friend of our to make us some custom shirts.  He is awesome at stenciling and bleaching shirts, so we couldn't resist.

Me. This is the front of the shirts.
This is Jeanne showing off the back of the shirts.
Both Jeanne and I are citizens of District 9, the Harvest District.  We were placed by the offical site, TheCapitol.pn.  Get placed, then tell me what district you get!

If you'd like, read why I think Katniss is totally better than Bella Swan.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read the books yet but I enjoyed the movie. I think Jennifer Lawrence was excellent. She was very real-looking...and by "real", I don't mean ugly. I just hate when they put anoxeric-looking, huge-breasted, ditzy young women into these kinds of roles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really want to read the books! I don't know why I haven't yet. Judging from everything I've heard about the books, I know I'll love them. Maybe I can finish them and catch the movie when it comes to DVD? Anyways, this review was very helpful, it serves as a nudge to go out and get myself a copy of those books!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...