Saturday, March 10, 2012

My dear, sweet, Princess.

Princess in December 2011.
With a heavy heart, I write this post in memory of my dear, sweet Princess.

She passed away today around 11am after a long,hard recovery form tumor removal surgery. She was 11 years old.

Princess was our family dog. She was the first dog I wasn't afraid of. I used to be terrified of dogs as a kid, and when Princess was brought into our lives, I was hooked.

She came to us a a 2 or 3 weeks old pup.  Her mom has been run over, and left behind a number of puppies.  My mom took her in and bottle fed her for a few weeks before she was able to handle solids.

Princees being bottle fed as a puppy by my mom.
She was a tiny little thing!  I fell in love with her instantly.   I remember how the first day we got her, I sat her on my lap and she peed on me. haha! With some love, she was weaned off the bottle and started on solids.

Baby Princess waiting to be fed. She was so tiny, she fit under the kitchen cabinets.
She was an awesome puppy. Always happy and full of life. I remember coming home from school and band practice to a happy dog with a giant wagging tail.

izone camera photo!  Princess at 3 months.
She never got the hang of being house trained too well, and she loved being outdoors, so the decision to make her an outdoor dog was made. 

We didn't just leave her out there, don't worry.  She got an awesome dog house equipped with pillows, blankets and space heater for winter. She had plenty of running room, trees, grass, the works.  

From 2004 or 2005. I desperately tried getting a photo with her, but she wouldn't let me!
She was amazing. Always playful and full of love to give.  She loved being petted on her tummy the most.  I taught her how to give "kissy kissy" kisses, where she would stick her nose up at you and wait for a kiss.  Sweet little girl loved her kisses!

About 4 years back, she had the first tumor.  It was located by her "lady parts" and was removed quickly.  The tumor, it was discovered, was non-cancerous. She recovered within a few days and was back to normal.


Last October, another tumor was found on one of her lower mammary glands. It was removed, and being 10 years old at the time, her recovery was a bit slower.  Within two weeks, she was back to normal. 

She was playing again, running around with Lola and Bubbles in the backyard, and eating regularly again.


This last month, we discovered that the tumor removed in October came back.  She was scheduled for her surgery on February 29, 2012. She came back home after the vet removed a 4 pound tumor from her mammaries.
She had a 6 inch incision on her chest. It was a big surgery.

She was recovering well for a couple of days, when all of sudden she stopped responding. She went from eating and drinking everything in sight to just lying there and refusing any type of food and drink.
My mom and I took her to the vet just about every day this last week. She got shots, medications, etc...and was force fed food and given IV treatments to try to get her to liven up.  But the food never stayed down and she never livened up.  She was just in so much pain.
It was as if she was ready to let go.

I sat with her the other night while she was listless on the floor, and I asked her, "Princess, what is it that you want? Do you want to fight this, or are you tired?"  
She looked at me, then looked back down and sighed.
The light that once filled her eyes was gone.
My Princess was ready. And she had been telling us all week, but we wanted to keep her around.  
We humans are selfish sometimes, you see.  We are unwilling to let go, even when it's sometimes the right thing to do.

This morning, after discovering that she could no longer stand up, my mom made the decision to call our Vet and end her pain.
The Boyfriend came over, and all three of us took her down to the clinic.  
I stayed with her the entire time.  I told her how beautiful she was, how much I loved her, and how she will always be the best puppy I have ever known.  

At around 11am, she took her last breath.  The was peaceful.

I'm crying as I type this.  I can't believe she is gone.  
She is now buried in the back yard, in her favorite spot to lie down besides the shed. 

My little girl, my Princess, is now an angel.  I do believe there is a special spot in Heaven for all those who are our best friends.  I know my cats from childhood are up there, and they greeted her with open paws. 

Princess.  2000-2012. Rest in peace, my beautiful girl.

Princess, I love you. We will all miss you, and I look forward to seeing you again someday in Heaven waiting at those pearly gates with your ever present smile and wagging tail.  Please be good up there. Watch down on us, on Lola and on Bubbles, and wait for us.  We will all see you again someday.  I love you.

When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like she was an amazing dog and that she had a joyful life. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((hugs))
    It's so sad losing an animal, it's like losing a family member. I hope for the best for you because I know how hard it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(
    Our first family dog died in 2007. I had grown up with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was such a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw I'm sorry for your loss. Sending you lots of hugs! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you lost your best friend. :( Princess looks like such a sweet dog. It's heartbreaking that we always outlive our pets. Right now, I'm waiting to find out if my boyfriend's family's dog will get to live much longer. He's 12 and is having horrible back pain that might not be fixed with the steroids. (The $8,000 surgery is not an option.) Meanwhile, my boyfriend is left to deal with this while his family is out of town for three weeks. They're all feeling pretty helpless right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry about Princess. I have lost two cats in the last month, so I know how hard it is.

    You're lucky to have so many wonderful memories with her.

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a beloved pet is so painful. Princess was a beautiful dog and it sounds like she lived a long and happy life and that you guys took the best care of her possible.
    I've lost my childhood dog and my 3 ferrets within the last couple of years, one even died on my birthday! Worst. Birthday. Ever. I can sort of laugh about it now remembering the happy times, but every now and again at night when I'm going to sleep I get sad and remember all of my sweet fuzzies that are no longer with me. Sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry for your loss. Princess is looking down on you from doggie heaven. I am sure she loved you as much as you loved her.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...