Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A debate that will never truely end...

Let me start off by stating my thoughts on religion and politics.
Yes, I'm totally a liberal. I believe in real freedom and hugging trees on weekends. surprise, surprise!

No,
I don't care if you're liberal, republican, democrat or nothing at all. We all have our own beliefs!
 
Yes, I go to church.  I believe in a higher power. 

However, I believe in total separation of Church and State. 
I do not believe that religion has a place in our government. I'm glad that Rick Santorum dropped out of the presidential ,as well as Michelle Bachmann a while back, because that man and that woman are all about making the government a pulpit for their beliefs. 
And I know that there are some people who see nothing wrong with religion being a part of the government. Those people scare me.
Why do they scare me?  Because this country is supposed to be the land of the free!  Freedom of religion!
Freedom of religion also means freedom FROM religion.

Not every person in this country believes in religion of any sort. The rest of us believe in different types of religion.  The government cannot impose their beliefs on their people! Making laws based on religion is not the right way to run this country!
A facebook conversation about politics and religion happened today on Boyfriend's profile.

Boyfriend is Paul.  I, of course, am Alma.
I left out the names of everyone else except for the first letter to follow a little easier.  

Read:



Let's just all get along and agree on one thing: we all want what we can't have in this grandiose government of ours.

But the one thing we should all agree on is that every person should have the right to live their lives as they damn well please.
Whether that be living day-by-day by the Bible and it's teachings, living by another religion, or living with no religion...choosing to marry someone who is the same sex or opposite sex... choosing safe sex over nothing (i'm looking at you, Santorum!), and having the right to make decisions of their own bodies.
We are all created equal. Remember that!

5 comments:

  1. I believe in Jesus, not in religion or Christianity. Jesus had a basic message of love and peace. I think many religious people and Republicans distort His teachings to suit their own agendas and promote their own personal opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Alma, so well said!! We couldn't agree more. Such a great post!! We need more people like you in government - people can believe whatever they want, but I shouldn't have less rights than all my fellow taxpayers because a few people don't agree with my relationship.

    Laura xo
    sprezzaturaourway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, yay! We nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award!! Check it out here: http://sprezzaturaourway.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/awards-guest-posts-oh-my.html

    Keep up the good work!

    Laura & Sarah xo
    sprezzaturaourway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It made me so happy to read this, and I agree with you completely! Preach it!
    We had an election in Denmark in September, and I got into so many stupid political arguments with people who tried to "convert me" to their political beliefs. I don't get it, honestly, leave me alone. I believe what I believe, you believe what you believe, and thank god we all have the right to vote.

    Sofie / http://strikeaprose.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...