Saturday, July 21, 2012

I just have a lot of feelings right now! A very Potter post.

I saw posted on Tumblr that today marks 5 years since the release of the final Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Allow me a moment to cry and remember how awesome it felt to finally hold the ending of this amazing series in my hands at approximately 2am (long line!) 5 years ago...


About a year ago while in seated in the movie theater for the screening of the final Potter movie with my friends, we all decided to write in a shared journal what Harry Potter has meant to us.  I've decided to type out the entry I wrote to share with you all.

My amazing friends, Jaime and Jeanne, and fiancee Paul sporting our TOTALLY AWESOME Starkid shirts at the Deathly Hallows part 2 premiere.  

Prepare for a sappy story.

The first time I heard about Harry potter, I scoffed and said "PFFT! WHo is going to read about a boy who can do magic?!"


I wrote it off before giving it a chance. I was 14 or 15 years old...I thought myself as "too old" to like such childish things. (What an idiot i was!)


Then on Thanksgiving Day in 2001, my parents wanted to go watch a movie, and out of curiosity due to reviews, I said "let's see this Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone movie."


From that day on, I was under Harry's spell.


That weekend, I managed to get my hands on a copy of the first book...and upon finishing got the next two books. The Goblet of Fire was already out by then, but I had to save up my pennies for it since I was expensive!


I became a dedicated fan from that day forth. I read the books over and over, and faithfully saw each movie upon release.  As I got older, I started attending the midnight book and movie releases.  I was - and still am- amazed by how many Harry potter fans there are. This story unites us together. This story makes us family. Whether you are part of Dumbledore's Army or Voldemort's Death Eaters - we are all in this together.


And now, a little over a decade after my introduction to this magical world, it is coming to an end.  But not a true end!


From the books on my shelf, to the DVDs on the rack, and to the tattoos of the Potter book stars in my shoulders, Harry will always be a part of my life. When I have children, they will know Harry's name. 


Above all, Harry Potter taught us many lessons that I know I will carry with me in my life:
          1) Doing what is right over what is easy is always the way to go;
          2) It does not do well to dwell in dreams and forget to live;
          3) Always sort out your priorities;
          4) Never wander into the forbidden forest unless once wishes to die a most painful death;
          5) Love is powerful;
          6) We all have something worth living for;
          7) Magic is real if you believe in it.


No words will ever truly express how much I love this series, or how I fell in love with this fictional world and characters. I think Severus Snape summed it up best when he said to Lilly Potter "it's real for us."


I solemnly swear to carry this story with me for the rest of my life.


When I am old and gray, sitting a chair and reading a tattered copy of HP, someone will ask me "you still read those every summer after all this time?"


And my response?  "Always."

See? that was sap-tastic.  But whatever, I love Harry Potter through and through!


As JK Rowling said, "Hogwarts will always be there to welcome us home." 
Thank you JK Rowling. Through your brilliant story and your fantastic characters,  you’ve made the world a better place by showing us that love and goodness will always conquer evil.

1 comment:

  1. Wow I can't believe that was five years ago!!! So amazing, love HP.

    That last photo, at the London premiere - we were there!! And saw them!! Just thought Id say ;)

    Laura xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...