Sunday, November 4, 2012

Encounter.

OMG I'm making a post.  What has it been, 2 months?  damn.

I'm sorry, you guys.  I need to get better at this, I know.

On to the post:

Have you ever held something antique, and felt it kind of take over you?

I was at an antique store with Paul during the city's monthly Market Days and found some vintage photos from someone’s trip to Europe in the 1930s…and there were 5 photos in particular that I did not want to let go of. I felt like I needed to have them, and no one else could have them.

I felt almost a sense of them belonging to me, if that makes any sense.  When other people started looking through the other photos in the box where I had pulled these 5 photos from, I felt like they were looking at MY things, and I wanted them to get away from it.

I kept telling Paul "I don't want to buy them, it feels wrong buying someone else's memories..." and he would tell me to put them back, then. I would respond saying "I can't. No one else can have these."  It freaked him out, I'm sure, cause it freaked me out!

After walking around with them for about 30 minutes, I finally gave them to Paul and told him to please put them back for me, because I knew I wouldn't be able to, and I was actually getting creeped out by the feelings i was having.  When he went to put them away, he had the same feeling…not wanting to let them go. But he put them away.

I took pictures of them on my cell phone, though, so I can share them and have a way of remembering them without having the actual copies.

Later, we were sitting in a cafe across the street from that store, and I felt like I wasn't myself. I was still myself, but like I was missing something. Paul had a strange urge to go to the store and purchase the photos, but I didn't let him.
Anything that calls you back and has no mind of it's own is just a bad sign.

I’ve never felt this before.  Have you?

Hit the cut for photos i took of the photos...








5 comments:

  1. Hi, I found you through 20 something bloggers, I'm feeling pretty lucky as I keep encountering wonderful posts through it, this being another! :)

    The photos look so delicate and incredible! I always find antiques can be very inspiring when considering story ideas. There's a place I visit called the book barn sometimes, where all books are £1, but you can encounter some gorgeous and rare finds. I found books from the 1800s which were beautifully binded, some even had notes inside and they were only £1... clearly worth more.

    It's an interesting feeling you describe, I guess perhaps because photos are more personal than I guess candle holders or vintage plates... I sometimes found myself freaking out slightly when reading notes through the books I purchased, I wonder if maybe a part of that person's soul still lingers with it maybe?

    But I know that feeling of when you encounter something antique feeling and just have to have it, I like to think one day all of these collected items can all become elements of a story and maybe those eerie feelings from these items can create an interesting concept for a narrative. :)

    You have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following! I'll be sure to check out your blogs as soon as i get back home (my phone is being weird!!)

      Delete
  2. That's really creepy! I wonder if anybody else bought them?!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wonder, too! it's weird that people kept gravitating to the photo box...people who normally would not look at old photos. and they would also look enchanted at the set I had pulled the 5 from.

      Delete
  3. Super creepy. I'm happy you resisted the urge to buy them... Makes me wonder about the sorry behind them though :-\

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...